Sunday 21 April 2013

Film Review- The Host





[The Host- Film Review]:

IMDB Film Summary- 

When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.

What I tend to do once I've watched a film is go and check out the reviews, this way I can see if they had the same opinions as me.
For The Host I couldn't find a single good review for the film and as personally, I didn't think the film was that bad I decided to write this review. In fact I'd actually go as far as to say I enjoyed it even though the film had its flaws.

The one thing I enjoyed about the film was it remained so true to the book. It has been almost two years since I first read The Host and I really liked the book, so when I heard a film was to be released I was hesitant at how good it would be. Especially with the plot being dystopian and Sci-fi usually it’s difficult to make a film in this genre without turning it into a fantasy children’s film. 
The movie focused greatly on the plot and so drama and emotion was present. The actors were brilliant- Saoirse Ronan is an amazing actress and is fast becoming one of my favourites as she is so talented, and so down to earth off screen.
Overall, I wouldn’t say the film was amazing or even on the same level as The Hunger Games movie but it does hold it’s own and is a great watch for that rainy day. The film started with great potential, showing Hi-tech ‘Alien’ machinery and the iconic silver rings around the eye, however, it does grow old and nothing much new or exciting happens. It is quite slow paced and a bit cringey at times with all the unnecessary kissing, but nevertheless it was watchable.
For those who hadn’t read the book beforehand I can understand why the film was a bit of a drag. In the book action sequences were a bit more electrifying  compared to the movie and also in the film more questions were left unanswered for viewers, such as why the seekers were searching for humans and converting them. Furthermore, the self-conversations Melanie has with Wanda can get a bit tedious at times as simple instructions such as how to lock a door is reiterated. With a few tweaks and addition of better action  sequences the film would have had a much more better response.
But I guess considering the big effect The Twilight Saga had on the public, there was an overall higher expectation for others on The Host. Luckily I went in with an open mind and left satisfied the plot of the film had not been totally destroyed or modified.

Have you seen the film? I’d love to hear your opinion on The Host.
ShyStar x 

No comments:

Post a Comment